For the month of September and our back-to-school time, I’d like to share our brief update to the community for this month’s entry…
Did You Know?
The Carlsbad Educational Foundation (CEF) exists solely to provide programs that make a meaningful impact for 11,000 students in the Carlsbad Unified School District. By funding more than $500,000 in targeted grants across all 14 schools in the areas of science, music, technology, and educational field trips, our goal is to create learning opportunities for all students which wouldn’t otherwise exist.
How Will Your Student(s) Benefit this Year?
We’re on track to fund at least 25 terrific programs this year. All of them make a real difference for our students, but here are just a few highlights:
• Music teachers at every elementary school
• Junior Achievement’s BizTown for all 5th graders
• Traveling 4th and 5th grade science lab teachers
• Middle & high school music coaches, instruments, and repairs
• High school science lab teaching assistants
• FLL and FTC robotics teams
• Science Olympiad teams at the middle and high schools
• Project Lead the Way’s STEM Classes
• Third Grade Academy at the Agua Hedionda Lagoon Foundation’s Discovery Center
• International Baccalaureate Program
• And more…!
This summer was amazing! Over 700 kids participated in our Summer Enrichment Camps. Kids’ Care provided fun enrichment and care for over 110 students every day for 11 weeks. Young Americans’ summer camp at Sage Creek was spectacular and we’re already planning a special 3-day spring break camp. And we’ve received provisional WASC accreditation so our High School Summer Academy can be even bigger and better next year!
Special thanks goes out to…
• The Carlsbad Charitable Foundation for sponsoring new “science day” events at all 9 elementary schools this year!
• LEGOLAND for hosting all 1st grade students for STEM-based field trips (and some amazing support through “Celebrate Carlsbad Day” at LEGOLAND!)
• ViaSat, Inc. for renewing district-wide support for Science Olympiad at all 5 middle and high schools
…we couldn’t do it without their (and your) support!
Kids’ Care STEM Recognition by the County Dept. of Education
If you have a K-5 student at CUSD, you may already know our Kids’ Care program on your campus. CEF’s Kids’ Care program was recently recognized as one of five organizations featured in the STEM Champions Celebration held at Balboa Park by the San Diego County Department of Education. Look for some great enrichment programs this year!
September–Look for the CEF & Kids’ Care table at your back-to-school night!
October–Join us on Friday, October 10th for our 14th Annual Carlsbad Golf Classic at The Crossings. Sign up as a player, sponsor, or volunteer…and compete to win the coveted Golden Club trophy for your school! Register at www.carlsbaded.org.
December–Saturday, December 6th at the OMNI La Costa Resort & Spa is our 4th annual “Carols of Carlsbad” holiday concert.
Learn more about how the Carlsbad Educational Foundation is making an impact on local students by checking out our video HERE
Also, don’t forget to “Like” CEF on Facebook for timely updates and news!