Carlsbad, CA – Carlsbad Educational Foundation (CEF), a non-profit organization devoted to developing and launching educational and enrichment programs for nearly 11,000 Carlsbad students, is proud to announce its new Summer Enrichment Programs, which are being offered from June 28 through July 23.
The roster of 27 half-day enrichment classes, which run for one week each, are tailored for elementary and/or middle-school students and include a wide variety of programs that reinforce the foundation’s fundamental focus on science, music and the arts. Classes, which are available for all Carlsbad and neighboring communities, will take place at Jefferson Elementary School (3743 Jefferson Street in Carlsbad) and can be combined with the foundation’s full-day Kids’ Care childcare program.
“The Carlsbad Educational Foundation is truly excited to share these new courses with the local community,” said Valin Brown, CEO of the Carlsbad Educational Foundation. “Proceeds from this terrific set of summer programs help support the foundation’s annual grants to fund district wide music, hands-on science and educationally innovative programs in partnership with the Carlsbad Unified School District.”
Brief highlights from the 2010 summer program include:
- “Carlsbad Idol”—Based on the popular “American Idol” television show, students will perform, compete and have fun in this singing program where “judges” help students improve their vocal skills through coaching, individual, and group exercises.
- Robotics—In this inspiring introductory robotics class, student engineers—working collaboratively in small teams—will apply math and engineering concepts to program a Lego Mindstorms NXT robot. They will learn to predict how a robot will operate and then test their hypotheses.
- Junior Detectives—Students will learn to be a police detective while solving a mock crime. They will work as a team to solve a mystery while learning the stages of the investigative process. Students will climb inside a police car, tour a real police station and courthouse, meet experts and learn how to lift fingerprints and gather evidence, analyze clues, interview witnesses and solve their very own mystery.
- Junior Authors/Creative Writing—This class is for creative students who love to read, write and share their work. Students will engage in a variety of writing projects that will improve their skills and provide an introduction to a variety of new writing styles and formats.
- Camp Invention—Invent Now Kids presents this program that focuses on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities through inquiry-based, fun, hands-on learning. Children will tap into their creativity to solve real-world challenges and work as a problem-solving team.
- Kinder Bootcamp—In this introduction to Kindergarten, students will practice basic classroom skills along with reading, writing and math. This course is a great way to prepare for the first year of school!
Enrollment for classes is now open and runs through the spring. Brochures with more details, complete class descriptions and a registration form are available at each Carlsbad school or can be downloaded at www.CarlsbadEd.org.
About Carlsbad Educational Foundation
The Carlsbad Educational Foundation (CEF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in 1983 to raise private support for public education and the enrichment of more than 10,000 students in the Carlsbad Unified School District. CEF develops, conducts and finances innovative, quality educational programs and projects. Since its inception, the foundation has contributed more than $4 million in funds to Carlsbad schools, primarily for science, technology, arts and reading. In 2008, the foundation provided year-end grants totaling $604,000 to help restore funding for the preservation of the arts, music, sports and libraries within the district. The foundation has finalized an ambitious strategic plan that will support the development of additional music, science and innovative educational programs. CEF also operates a Summer Enrichment Program as well as Kids’ Care, a comprehensive before- and after-school childcare program. For more information, visit www.carlsbaded.org.